Bellingham, Washington gets a Starbucks Clover brewer

This week Starbucks launched the first Clover brewer in Whatcom County, Washington.  The Clover is in Bellingham, Washington, which is pretty far north, almost into Canada.  The store that got the Clover has recently been through a major remodel too.  On July 1, 2011, I decided to stop by and take a few pictures.  As many readers know, I like highlighting stores, and in particular, I tend to write about the Clover stores.

Since July 1st was a Friday, I worked all day, and then drove north to Bellingham.  By the time I arrived, it was late in the day.  The store was slow.  I met a partner named Joseph who told me that the store has had a Clover for “less than a week.”

The store is beautiful.  July 1, 2011, was the official celebration of the launch of the Clover and celebrating the major remodel.  There were flowers and balloons.  While I was there, Jessica, a long-term store partner, dropped by.   She was able to tell me that the original opening day of this store was April 1, 2005.  It’s such a small Starbucks world.  As it turns out, she is leaving this store to transfer to the Pier 55 Starbucks in Seattle.  She wants to be closer to Seattle to grow her Starbucks career.  Back in December 2009, I did a blog post with several photos of the Pier 55 Starbucks.  I wasn’t focusing on that store, but Pier 55 had gone through a recent remodel, and I had wanted to show it off.  Salvaged pier wood has been used in parts of the store:  Previous blog article about Bell-Square Starbucks and Pier 55 Starbucks.

Here’s the Bellingham store’s address, in case you want to visit:

Starbucks -#9679  Downtown Bellingham
132 East Holly Street
Bellingham, WA
(360) 738 7539

One of the things that I noticed that makes this store amazing is its big picture windows.  It’s stunning to turn around and stare at a pretty tree-lined small downtown street.  And I love the look of the new stores.  I assume there is probably a story behind the photo that says “shoes” on it, but I don’t know it.

Hope you enjoyed the short tour of this new Clover brewer Starbucks location!

And so here are just a few pics!

1. Karl Dahlquist
    Jul 05, 2011 @ 01:02:05

*First!*

2. Karl Dahlquist
    Jul 05, 2011 @ 01:07:24

Oops…sorry…always wanted to do that! Since I had my first Clover drink today in Burbank, I am having trouble falling asleep..so naturally I am catching up on Melody’s blog.

3. Sebastian
    Jul 05, 2011 @ 02:59:10

What a lovely store!

A great idea to put colorful balloons and beautiful flowers throughout the store. The outside of the store is also very nice…

Can I spot the new logo white Mugs in the third picture on the shelf?

Jul 05, 2011 @ 05:29:43

This is such a welcoming store and just love the windows and the chairs. I really wish when renovations occur around here they end up like this. And the partners seem so nice!

5. denise r
    Jul 05, 2011 @ 06:30:21

Another really nice looking “new” Sbux. I especially like the picture of the Clover….cool angle somehow.
    There must be a story to the “SHOES” picture, in that cozy looking little spot, next to a newspaper stand? I would GUESS that’s maybe what used to be in that location at one time? would have to go back and look again, but that’s my guess. ???

also love those dark (‘adobe’) red coloered walls. (adobe red I mean)

6. @uniqueblog
    Jul 05, 2011 @ 06:46:42

nice store! While it is new still has character

7. Online Strategies
    Jul 05, 2011 @ 07:06:54

Great interiors, its warms as a hot coffee.

8. Amy in Boston
    Jul 05, 2011 @ 18:58:09

What a beautiful store. The flowers really brighten up the store. In addition, I love how the coffees are displayed. I’ve never seen that before and it adds a nice touch to the store. Also, I love the nice large and inviting windows:)

9. Jessica Tholmer
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 10:12:06

The shoe picture is an old picture of our street in Bellingham. The building is East Holly Starbucks’ current location. :)

10. Sammy
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 13:42:10

I have tested last week in Lausanne at Starbucks Coffee Trading Company a coffee out of the Clover. It’s really the best way for making a fresh hot Starbucks coffee.

11. Jen Newbauer
    Jul 06, 2011 @ 20:54:44

Thanks Melody for highlighting the best of our store! It has been quite a treat to be able to go through this amazing remodel…Clover has become the drink of choice for our brewed coffee drinkers and they are proud to have one in our little town! Thanks again.

Jul 07, 2011 @ 05:45:00

@Jen N – You’re welcome and I hope the Clover is a big hit for you! @Jess – Thanks for the info on the Shoe picture. I wish I had taken a closer look at it when I was up there.

13. AnonymousD
    Jul 27, 2011 @ 19:26:35

This was far and away my favorite Starbucks store of all time. Many a morning trudging down Railroad towards Starbucks, waiting for the lovely staff (managed by the lovely Jen) to serve me an awakening in a cup.

I visited this store for several years and only right after I moved, did they remodel. I wish I had been able to see this and I’ll miss the gals at this location. Despite being on the corner of Railroad and Holly in the heart of the Central Business District, the staff always handled that particular issue with tact and heart. When I had first moved to Bellingham, in 1999, this location was a pit – the foundation of a building that predated me. There were efforts to turn it into a park before the commercial/residential combo it is now and it turned out so well.

One interesting thing of note: Bellingham has underground caverns that date back to the coal days, and from what I have heard/understand … one of these caverns is right below this Starbucks location. The cracks in the floor (at least, prior to the remodel) were evidence of this, and it might be something to look for the next visit, Mel. =)

14. AnonymousD