The refill policy at Starbucks: Refills are regardless of original beverage purchased.

Just a short lesson on what a refill is at Starbucks:  I think this is valuable information for many people!

If you order a  Starbucks tall latte, and then want Pike Place Roast as a refill, the answer is “yes.”  I should clarify, the answer is “yes” only if you have stayed inside the store.  Once you leave the store, when you return, you will be paying full price for your beverage again.  The refill price is available only for same store visits.  The refill only becomes free if you are paying for your beverage with a registered Starbucks Card, at the green level of benefits.  And there is no refill price for any handcrafted beverages. Iced tea, iced coffee, and hot brewed coffee all have a refill price available to them.  In other words, if I drink a grande Frappuccino, stay in the store, and want grande iced passion tea as a refill, then I should be charged the refill price for the passion tea, not the the full price of the iced passion tea.  However, there is no way to order a Frappuccino as a refill.

I bring this up because I noticed (thanks to a comment in another blog article!) that Starbucks has finally updated their website to truly clarify the refill policy.  This had been in an area, where in the past, the website had had ambiguous language.  Thank you Starbucks for this!  Here’s the official Starbucks page on the refill benefit.

In previous articles, I have talked about the theories behind the refill policy.  As many people know, iced coffee, iced tea, and brewed coffee are beverages that are low cost to the business.  Furthermore, those who stay inside the store are more likely to linger and purchase food or other items as well.  Also, it makes no sense to tell customers, you must only purchase the lowest cost beverages to be able to receive the refill price.  In other words, there’s no logic to saying that a customer who spends a premium for a handcrafted drink may not receive a refill because he or she didn’t start out with a cheaper beverage.  And of course, there is never a refill price for drive-thru customers.

And you really do have to stay in the store to get a refill.  If you have left the store, and you return later in the day with your cup, the baristas should tell you there is no refill price available.

Hope that my readers find this helpful!

1. joe
    Dec 13, 2014 @ 17:48:30

why are the prices for coffee going up?

2. Charlie Fernández
    Dec 14, 2014 @ 17:42:38

If I buy the cinnamon Dolce Latte, do i get a free refill if I stay at the store?
    A fast response would be much appreciated :)

Dec 14, 2014 @ 17:49:35

Hi Charlie – If you bought a Cinnamon Dolce Latte, and stayed in the store, you can get the “refill” price if you order the same size iced tea, hot brewed coffee (the coffee of the day, not a Clover – brewed option), or iced coffee.
    There is never a refill price option for a latte.
    Your refill becomes free when you pay with a registered Starbucks card that is at the Green level of benefits, or higher. If you’re not paying with that green level (or higher) registered card, then you pay the refill price, often about 50 or 55 cents (can vary by location).

4. Charlie Fernández
    Dec 14, 2014 @ 17:53:51

I use the app and the card I’m at Gold level. I will try next time I go.
    Molto grazie Melody ;)

Dec 14, 2014 @ 18:01:18

You’re welcome Charlie. When I say “card” I always mean either the physical card or the mobile app – though maybe I should be more clear: the percentage of transactions via the app is pretty significant.

6. MJP
    Dec 16, 2014 @ 09:39:36

So if I physically leave the store to go to my car for something and come right back, is this considered ‘leaving the store’? Technically, I would guess so.

7. Valerie
    Dec 16, 2014 @ 11:58:50

That raises an interesting point. If you smoke or vap, you need to be off premises. If you let me, your barista, know and return for a refill, I have no issue with that. If you run to your car for something and return within minutes, I have no issue with that. But if you do as some of our customers do and get a coffee in the am and want a refill in the pm, it’s not happening. So many people argue the “just say ‘yes'” policy. The refill policy states that we follow it so that customers are charged on a consistent basis from store to store. That is where the rub comes in.

8. Rebecca
    Dec 26, 2014 @ 16:48:23

Hi (: Today I got a passion tea lemonade at Starbucks and wanted to get a refill for a Chai Tea Latte. But I couldnt because I could only get a refill for a cold drink because I ordered s cold drink to begin with. Arent I suppose to get any refill? Not just depending on whether I got a hot drink or a cold drink

Dec 26, 2014 @ 16:55:59

Hi Rebecca – The way I read your post, it doesn’t look like you would get any refill benefit. You really have to be getting a refill as only one of these items: Iced tea (not a tea lemonade), iced coffee, hot brewed coffee, and hot tea (meaning a tea sachet).

There are no lattes that are ever a refill so a “chai latte” would always be a full price. Check out this article:

Feel free to contact me via the contact page if you have more questions.

10. Ana
    Jan 03, 2015 @ 19:14:56

I’ve tried to get a free green tea iced tea refill 3 times from 2 different Starbucks in Hawaii (originally purchased the Oprah Chai Tea Latte) and I was “corrected.” I usually do work at Starbucks for at least 3 hours at a time and buy other food & merchandise while I’m there. The first 2 times were faced with hesitation from the baristas and was told “ok for this time.” After finally checking the Starbucks policy online & this website, I was sure that I would not face this hesitation the 3rd time..I was wrong. They informed me that I would have had to have bought the tea/coffee from the beginning to get the refill. I asked if I should have just bought the cheaper drink from the beginning, instead of the more expensive latte. All 3 different baristas didn’t answer my question and informed me that it’s always been their policy (at least 2 years since they have been working there). I’m not sure if this is just in Hawaii, but is it possible for individual Starbucks shops to create their own policy or only implement parts of the policy (e.g. not allow latte buyers to get the free plain tea/coffee refill)? I didn’t think I would have to buy 2 separate drinks (my favorite latte & a plain tea) just to get the free tea refill. Was also hoping that I would get this perk as a Gold level benefit :/ Mahalo for your thoughts!

Jan 03, 2015 @ 19:50:48

@Ana – I’m sorry that happened to you. You should call Starbucks Customer Service or attempt to reach a district manager. One huge problem is that A LOT of Starbucks training is like oral tradition passed from one barista to another. The refill policy is often just taught wrong to new partners and then when challenged, the baristas don’t think they could have been taught wrong.

So long as you are visiting company-operated Starbucks (and Hawaii has many many company-operated stores) the store CANNOT make up their own refill policy.
    Here is downtown Seattle, there are tons of baristas who ask “Is this your first drink of the day?” and if you challenge them on the refill policy they don’t get it – there is some weird oral tradition in downtown Seattle that if you bought one drink in the morning, you get free refills all day long! That isn’t right either. Certainly it’s not all baristas, but I see that happening here.

12. buder shapiro
    Jan 06, 2015 @ 10:05:35

Can you clarify the term refill prices? What does that mean?

13. MEL
    Jan 07, 2015 @ 08:18:14

So wait, just because i’m not some sort of “special member with a card” means I have to pay more for my refil? If this is correct, I am never returing to Starbucks. Please explain.

Jan 07, 2015 @ 08:27:56

@MEL – Lots and lots of businesses have some kind of loyalty program that has an added benefit to the members of the that loyalty rewards program. In fact, this is so commonly the norm in business that almost don’t understand your surprise. Those perks are there everywhere – cards where you earn a discount on gas, and so many more that this comment would look like a book.

15. Ginny
    Jan 07, 2015 @ 09:20:21

I agree with Melody, it doesn’t cost you anything just register a gift card & purchase with it, if I remember correctly after three purchases you start getting free refills. In fact you can even count the first two paid refills as purchases. So if you buy a drink & buy two refills in that same visit you’re set to go.

On a different note has anyone noticed a change in flavor in the white chocolate mocha latte? I feel like something was changed, the flavor is off and I had been ordering it for like two months straight. ;(

16. Alycia
    Jan 20, 2015 @ 14:32:50

Thank you for this information one quick question. If I buy a tea with cash but I get the refill with my gold card (and I didn’t leave the store) can I get it for free or will is be the refill price?

17. JT
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 18:23:46

@Ginny I noticed the same thing with the mocha a few months ago. when I asked I was told that the policy was recently changed to use skim milk as the default if not specified. Changed from 2% I believe. This caused the drink to taste watery. I have since made it a habit at any cafe to specify whole milk, to ensure i get a richer more chocolaty flavor.

I would imagine the issue is the same with the white chocolate. Every Starbucks I have been to has had a 100% satisfaction guarantee, and at the slightest sign of dissatisfaction they insist on remaking my drink. Obviously this includes when i asked them why my latte tasted funny, but I have had them come up to me from across the cafe when i made a funny face because the brewed coffee was too strong or burnt.

18. Ginny
    Jan 23, 2015 @ 22:33:48

I always ordered my white mocha with nonfat, so to me the taste wasn’t the milk. But recently a barista told me that Starbucks changed the shots from an Italian Roast to. Starbucks brand & that could be why I was tasting a difference. Then another Barista said that they only use espresso roast, who knows? Now I just order a vanilla latte with one pump of white mocha, not the same but I got tired of being dissatisfied. I pretty much have given up on my original white mocha.

19. cristen
    Jan 26, 2015 @ 19:18:02

this whole refill thing has confused me a lot. i always use my starbucks card. say i get a Carmel mochiatto so then for a free refill i have to get a basic coffee or tea. so i can get any drink then a refill for coffee or tea. when will i ever pay a refill charge?