Grand Opening: A New Clover Starbucks at Pike and Broadway

IMAG6540 - 9 August 2013 - Pike and Broadway StarbucksToday is the grand opening of a new Starbucks! At 5:00 a.m. today, August 9, 2013, the new Pike and Broadway Starbucks swung its doors open for customers.   This is a fantastic Starbucks on the corner of Pike and Broadway, in Seattle’s Capitol Hill neighborhood.

Let me tell you a little bit about this store.  The store manager is “Mikey,” whom some of you know from the “Employment Opportunities” window cling on many Starbucks store windows.  This store is a beautiful Clover – Reserve store, and has been designed with a unique pastry case, and merchandise area.  The photos speak for themselves!

The building itself dates back to either 1903 or 1913! I had heard from a very reliable Starbucks partner source, that the building was built in 1903.  When I looked on the King County Assessor’s website, I saw 1913.  All I can say is that it’s old building.  And the store itself is a little less than 1,700 square feet.

The store design is gorgeous.  I love the tables with a live wood edge, and the extremely unique merchandise wall.  Also, you’ll notice that the pastry case is one-of-a-kind, with a large, flat, open display of bakery goodies.  The La Boulange branding is right on glass front to the pastry display.  While I didn’t take photos of the many power outlets, power strips are installed below all of the window seating, along the walls, and in several other places.  You won’t struggle to find an outlet for your electronic device.

It’s  gorgeous.  And, the team of partners are fabulous.  This store happens to have a number of people that I know from other stores, so I am really happy to say that you’ll find a world-class dynamic team.  There are two coffee masters right now too.

If you want to visit, here’s the store’s address:

Starbucks #19468
824 East Pike Street
Seattle, WA 98122
(206) 329 5147

I hope you’ll visit soon!  Be sure to click onto the photos to make them larger.  I look forward to comments on this one-of-a-kind gorgeous Starbucks.  (I took all the photos the morning of its grand opening, August 9, 2013.  As always, do not use without permission.)

IMAG6554 9 Aug 2013 Pike and Broadway Starbucks Clover areaIMAG6555 Pike and Broadway Starbucks 9 Aug 2013 facing registersIMAG6557 - 9 Aug 2013 - Pike and Broadway Merch wallIMAG6552 - 9 August Starbucks Pike and Broadway Starbucks lobbyIMAG6549 9 August 2013 - Pike and Broadway Starbucks seating area facing merch wallIMAG6546 9 Aug 2013 Pike and Broadway Starbucks facing Clover wallIMAG6543 - 9 August 2013 - Pike and Broadway Starbucks

1. The Kwan
    Aug 10, 2013 @ 12:14:40

I agree – looks gorgeous. It’d be a shame if the design is not planned for more rollout. As for the pastry display, it elevates the appearance to a more real bakery, but I would still prefer the closed case for sanitary reasons.

2. Jill Becker
    Aug 10, 2013 @ 14:47:33

Mikey it’s so nice to see you have your own store now. I know you’ll have the best Starbucks of all….Hugs..

3. Nathan
    Aug 10, 2013 @ 15:34:32

I am loving the retail wall!

4. denise r
    Aug 10, 2013 @ 16:00:38

Gorgeous store!!! (smaller is often better) Thanks for the trip!

5. jocelyn
    Aug 11, 2013 @ 09:28:58

I LOVE THE RETAIL WALL!!!!!!! OMG! i actually love everything about this store.. maybe i should look into a transfer? ;)

Aug 11, 2013 @ 09:33:29

@Jocelyn – You should transfer! I walked there this morning for breakfast. Such friendly amazing partners! Thank you Justin, Heather, and Jess!! Jess is only a 3-month partner, but wow, I was totally impressed with her passion for Starbucks!!!

The one thing about the merch wall is that it’s so perfect, I think I would be reluctant to pick anything up to buy it as a customer. It looks too perfect to disturb! Hahaha!

7. jocelyn
    Aug 11, 2013 @ 09:42:55

i’ll look in to seeing if i can pick up some phantom shifts over there. i haven’t worked in seattle yet. i think it’s time :)

8. Tristan tumey
    Aug 11, 2013 @ 16:59:15

I used to live on capitol hill and I always thought walking past this man it would be a nice location. Capitol only has two prior to this to my surprise. Wasn’t there a tully’s coffee there at one time? I remember a food place there a long time ago.

9. Organic Fair Trade Dave
    Aug 11, 2013 @ 17:20:01

What an absolutely gorgeous store! I love that La Boulange set up. It really conveys the bakery vibe. It’s unusual for me, coming from California, to see stores without glass “sneeze guards” protecting the espresso machines/beverage prep area. I noticed this on a recent trip to Hawaii as well. But hey, this is still a great looking store.

Aug 11, 2013 @ 17:57:27

@TristanTumey – This was a Tully’s at one time! This Tully’s permanently closed last fall, almost at exactly about the same time that there were news reports of Tully’s bankruptcy:

@OrganicFTDave – I know what you mean – every California Starbucks has about quadruple the number of sneeze cards than Washington state ones. I guess that’s just the way it goes. I think it’s really nice to be able to connect over the Clover with feeling like there is bullet proof plastic between you and the barista.
    ^ You can see the California sneeze guards around the Clover there at that OC store, and here in WA there’d be nothing around it. Those are some tall, monstrous sneeze guards. I guess I’m not all that paranoid. I’m fine with the WA sneeze guards.

11. Kristina
    Aug 12, 2013 @ 02:38:47

Beautiful building façade! The overall look of the store is kind of antique and rustic. I like it! It seems many of the new (or remodeled) Starbucks stores are moving away from a cozy interior design containing big, comfy chairs towards a more streamline/clean lines look. Also, the La Boulange case reminds me of the open bakery cases at Panera Bread.

12. Purple1
    Aug 13, 2013 @ 14:25:32

Another beautiful store to gaze at and not see. I am so amazed at the minds of these designers and how different each SB store can be. Just returned from Boston area and went to a few SB stores each
    A bit different. Btw melody you have not had an open blog post in a bit.

Aug 13, 2013 @ 17:53:49

@Purple1 – You’re right. I hadn’t thought about doing an open thread – just always escapes me to do that. I feel like readers seem to want a topic given to them, and they don’t just easily dive into the comments with whatever, but it’s been so long, it’s worth a try to do another open thread soon. Good suggestion.

14. Jess
    Aug 14, 2013 @ 20:07:51

Looks like a gorgeous store! Yay for Clovers. :)

15. clare
    Aug 14, 2013 @ 20:29:32

Haha so Mikey is the guy from the sticker? I always wondering if he was a real partner or a model in an apron :) As a former partner, I’d also be interested in an open thread!